WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels appeared on NXT recently to announce the exciting new match type that will be making it’s way to the promotion. The Iron Survivor Challenge Match will make its debut at NXT Deadline, the next Premium Live Event (PLE) in the NXT calendar and will showcase the brainchild of Triple H and Shawn Michaels in what is likely to be some huge matches. The event is due to take place on December 10, 2022.
The match has never taken place before and is a brand-new idea from the minds behind NXT. Success at NXT Deadline could lead to it becoming a regular occurrence in the future, but the first matches will determine whether it will continue or not.
While a Iron Survivor Challenge has previously taken place, many fans are still confused about the rules of the stipulation. While they may seem simple to some, this article will explain the history behind the match type, who invented it, why it is called a “Iron Survivor Challenge Match” and when who will be competing in the next edition of the match type.
What Is An Iron Survivor Challenge Match?
The Iron Survivor Challenge Match is a match that is to decide the new number one contender for the NXT or NXT Women’s Championship. The match seems to be a combination of a classic Iron man match and the short-lived Championship scramble match. It does contain some key changes to the match type, hopefully making it even more exciting and entertaining than ever before.
The rules of the match are as follows:
- Five superstars will compete in this unique 25-minute Match as they battle each other and the clock.
- Two superstars will start the match and every five minutes a new superstar will enter the match until all five are in the ring.
- The goal is to have the most falls when the clock hits 25 minutes.
- Falls can be won at any time via pinfall, submission or disqualification.
- When a Superstar scores a fall they will earn one point.
- However, when a superstar loses a fall, that superstar must pay the penalty. They are forced out of the ring and into a penalty box for 90 seconds.
- Once the 90 seconds are up, the superstar can re-enter the match.
- The superstar who has scored the most falls when the clock hits 25 minutes will be named the Iron Survivor and become the No. 1 Contender for the NXT Championship and NXT Women’s Championship respectively
There will be one match for men and one match for women at NXT Deadline, on December 10 2022 on the WWE Network/Peacock.